14.7.11

It's not what I expected...

I started this blog at the request of a very old and dear friend, HH! :) 

I've heard stories about women who never knew they were pregnant until they have the baby. (I think the series is called "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant" ...yeah) And I've heard stories about women that knew just when they were pregnant. My experience wasn't what I expected.

A little about me you might not want to know, I cramp badly and my body has never quite regulated my cycle but it has been short in between. I thought when you get pregnant, you just go on like normal. I thought it would be no cramps, no bleeding, no PMS symptoms. What is funny about this is that the opposite is true. (I later learned the ache can be worsened by dehydration.) I had taken some Aleve (2 pills a day about 8 hours apart) because of what I thought was cramping, I don't like taking too many pain pills and that schedule kept me down to a dull ache or no pain.

On the third or fourth morning of hurting, I stood in my kitchen and suddenly it occurred to me that maybe I should check a calendar. When I realized it had been 3 weeks and nothing, I decided not to take a pain pill that day. The next morning we drove to Wal-Mart for an early test and took an early test. I promised my husband I wouldn't look until we were together when the two minutes passed for the test to be done. There were two lines. TWO...

I didn't realize the line I caught an accidental glimpse of was the "pregnancy" line and not the "control" line.

TWO LINES! I said "oh my gosh" and Barry let out a huge laugh. We cried and laughed. I shivered. I don't think there is anything that can prepare you for the shock of two lines.

I called my mom who lives far away. I think she almost wrecked her car! She said she never thought this day would come. I called my dad but didn't get to tell him till later. He said, "You're kidding me," and was thrilled at being a grandpa again. We got a little creative for telling Barry's parents. Back at Wal-Mart we bought a "Mom" ring and "World's Coolest Dad" tee-shirt left from father's day and explained to the same cashier why were back through his line!

This particular day, the future grandparents were purchasing a new truck! We decided to wait until after to tell them so we talked them into going for a soda. We all sat down in a booth and I asked them to look at the new ring Barry gave me, and he opened his button-down shirt to show the "Dad" shirt underneath! They were ecstatic! Later we went to Jo-Ann's and I bought a maternity pattern I've been eyeballing since January!